Sunday, December 11, 2011

Additional Post #1

Metaphor & simile


Metaphors: What They Are and Why We Use Them

1. I missed the metaphor in Tom Johnson's post because I was reading to deep into the post. I do admit that I did not look in full depth of the post. I honestly thought he was talking about pencils until I reread the post and caught my mistake. Actually, I posted it in my response to the post.

2. Metaphors I have encountered:
(a) I would die if I didn't get those shoes.
(b) I'm freezing to death.
(c) I'm so hungry I can eat a cow.
(d) I'm starving to death.
(e) You need to relax your mind.
(f) Time is money.

3. While teaching the difference between metaphors and similes, I would have my students do a poem for the two so they would be able to see the difference. Since they were the ones to actually write the poems it would be embedded into their minds what the difference is.

4. Metaphors are words we use in conversations that gives the listener or reader a better understanding with fewer words. Writers use metaphors to capture your attention where as speakers use them to get through what they are trying to say with a better understanding.

No comments:

Post a Comment