Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Blog Post #12

While watching Steve Jobs' Inspirational Speech think of are you motivated enough to motivate your students. As he stands before the graduating class of Stanford, he tells them three different stories. Each story has its own moral. Listen and pay attention closely for I want you to describe in three different paragraphs on what you think each moral is.

Before watching this video, I just knew that Steve Jobs was the guy who invented Apple. Since I am becoming a bigger fan of Apple I decided to Google him. Turns up there is a lot to learn about the late Steve Jobs. Like Bill Gates, Jobs is also a college drop out. Many parents force their kids to succeed in college but I have to disagree by saying college is not for everyone. Bill and Steve prove that point clear. Even without a college degree they were able to become successful legally.
In Jobs first story it was about his early part of life. His biological mother wanting his adopting parents to be college graduates so she would be more comfortable with her baby living with them. Although his adoptive parents were not college graduates (adoptive father high school drop out), they still encouraged Steve to go to college. A prestige college at that where they were paying tuition out of pocket. Six months into the semester Jobs decides to dropout but become a drop in student where he learned calligraphy. This was the first skill he learned for Mac. The moral of this story was knowing how to connect the dots. Steve said "you must trust in yourself enough to know that later on down the road the dots will connect." I agree. When doing the connect the dots puzzles I always start from the end and work backwards to the beginning. This scenario even plays with my life. When I was old enough I planned out my entire life. To where I live, who I want to marry, to what I want to be. Although I have changed the pattern of my 'dots' I know that they will still make the same pattern in the end. With that being said it leads to Steve's second story.
Steve's second story was about love and lost. You must love what you are doing. Starting Apple at the age of 20 in his mothers garage, he found what he love at an early age. Ten years later he lost it. He learned that being let go was the best thing that happened to him. He created two different programs Next and the other one is like the new Disney, Pixar. Pixar became large where as Next was bought out by Apple. "Sometimes life will hit you in the head with a brick but don't loose faith." In the end he never lost what he love. This moral ties in to what I have believed in for a very long time. A career is something you love where as a job is something you are just doing. Yes, we all know that some teachers do not get paid that much but if you love it why should the pay matter? My major was once where I knew the pay would be good but the classes stressed me out and did not bring me enjoyment while taking them so I switched to where my heart was, teaching.
The last and final story was about death. Like Steve, I live by the same quote "live every day like it was your last." After being diagnosed with pancreatic cancer, Steve never gave up he just kept living like it was his last. He said that even though he was face to face with death it wasn't nice. "Nobody is ready to die not even those who want to go to heaven." He encourages that you should follow your own heart and mind to not to live in any one else shadows. Like Randy Pausch, it is sad that Steve Jobs past on. It is great that they left a great legacy for many people to come.
Randy&Steve

2 comments:

  1. So your assignment would be to watch Steve Job's Stanford graduation speech? That is part of Carly Pugh's post which is part of Blog Post Assignment #8. How does you suggestion differ?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Raven

    Your directions were not really clear but I could understand what you wanted to do by reading your posting. Unfortunately, your posting could have been written better. The information is definitely there but there are some grammatical errors. For example "Six months into the semester Jobs decides to dropout but become a drop in student where he learned calligraphy." would have been better if it were written like this: "Six months into the semester Jobs decided to drop out of school. After dropping out he became a drop in student at (school he attended) where he learned calligraphy." or something like this. You should proofread your posting to make sure it is written perfectly since you are suggesting it as a lesson. The first sentence: “While watching Steve Jobs' Inspirational Speech think of are you motivated enough to motivate your students.“ is also very confusing.

    Again, the information you provide is great for showing what you want the students to do and if you proofread your work and make sure it is written well it can be a great assignment.

    ReplyDelete