Saturday, October 22, 2011

Blog Post #8

Richard Miller: This Is How We Dream Parts 1 and 2
As I began watching Miller's video, I instantly became bored. His voice did not catch my attention but his video itself did. Pushing myself to pay attention to what he was saying, turned out that I enjoyed the video. He has very good points where he makes us, not only as future teachers but Americans, think about how we write and read now days. If you sit back and think about it, do you really see that much pen and paper in classrooms now? Just being enrolled in EDM 310 should give you the answer to that question.
Miller encourages everyone in the education field to learn how to write in the multimedia format. This format allows you to not only publish your writings in a book but also online. Everything we use in today's time in some way has to deal with technology. If you were to walk into a classroom and look around the first thing you won't see is a chalk board. There is something like it though, called a smart board.
I honestly can say that I agree with Miller, due to the fact that technology grows all day every day. In a few years, who knows there might not be something called pencils and paper. Besides, who wouldn't want to learn and write the multimedia way? Using pictures and videos can really get your point across instead of just writing it on paper and turning it in. I will definitely be teaching my students this method.

Blog Post #12 by Carly Pugh
I can honestly say that Carly is ready to become a teacher. As a teacher you have to think of ways to keep your students interest and Carly did just that. The playlist idea would be a great idea as our final reflection project. That way it shows Dr. Strange all that we learned and help us put to use what we learned. She took Miller's words and ran with them. She did everything he told us to do when writing with multimedia.
Her links were great. Not only did they help her put her point across they helped make the post more enjoyable. She had categories from humor to serious. I loved the video "leave your mark" because you should think outside of the box and do something in life that people will remember you by. I walk around town and see so many people on the streets and think to myself "I wonder what they had planned for their life when they were younger?" This brings me to the video “when I grow up” and “Don’t laugh at me." I will definitely be showing these three videos in my class.

The Chipper Series and EDM 310 for Dummies
Watching both of these videos showed just how I felt at the beginning of our EDM 310 class this semester. As the class went on I noticed that it became easier. Notice I said easier not EASY! In the video "The Chipper Series," Chipper procrastinates and when confronted by Dr. Strange she comes up with an excuse like every other student has ever done. Like many students who get fed up with not being able to stay on task with their school work, Chipper drops out. After her idea creating her own school that allowed students to come, go, and do as they please failed, Chipper returned back to Dr. Strange's EDM 310 class. In the video "EDM 310 for Dummies," the two girls were at the beginning feeling just like I was, frustrated. As the video progressed it showed that Dr. Strange had come up with a book EDM 310 for Dummies. This book broke EDM 310 down that the girls were able to succeed in their work. I think I could do one of these videos. My group and I came up with an idea for one of these videos. I honestly want to do the playlist project that Carly mentioned in her video.

Learn to Change, Change to Learn
In this video, a variety of different educators gave their opinion about how they felt about the way kids are being taught today. I both agree with this video. I agree with the fact that, yes teachers should become technology literate so they are able to teach kids of today's time. Kids are very technology literate and like one of the women from this video said "Kids are very rich developers through their emails, texting, and social networking, but yet all that is band from the classrooms." I agree with her. I am glad that I have learned some ways to stay connected to my students outside the classroom from EDM 310. I believe that educators should use something inside the classroom besides books to keep their students attention and involved.

change sign

1 comment:

  1. "The playlist idea would be a great idea as our final reflection project." Do it then.

    Jamie Lynn and her team came up with the idea for a book. Only the cover was ever made. I have it framed in my office at home!

    Correction 4 lines from bottom: banned not band.

    ReplyDelete