Saturday, September 17, 2011

Blog Post #4

Langwitches
Langwitches is a website dealing with the podcasting in a first grade classroom. The teacher got a group of her students to record a script that she wrote. As young kids they loved the fact that they could hear their own voices as they read alone. I enjoyed how the teacher was able to write down the steps. I will love to do this as a project inside my classroom. It will allow the students not to use the 'burp-back' method instead they will be engaged into the activity.

The Benefits of Podcasting in the Classroom
I really enjoyed the video. I think podcasting inside or outside the classroom is a great way for students to learn. There are students who learn better by taking notes, listening, or a visual approach. Podcasts can be use for all three approaches. I like the idea that if a child has to miss class they can just log onto iTunes and watch or listen to the pod cast so they will not be behind. It is also a good way for parents to get involved in their child's learning. I remember when I was younger and it was story time, my teacher would play the tape as we followed along in the book. To me that way made the story come to life and I loved o hear the 'ding' when it was time to turn the page. Students recording their own podcasts can also bring more excitement in their learning. By getting the students involved and changing up the everyday routine may keep their attention span open for different learning skills and keep them interested. Hopefully that will result in higher grades and more learning instead of 'burp back'. This video helped me to realize that when I get my classroom I will be using this technique with my students.

100 Ways to use your iPod
Who would have ever known that the same gadget you use to listen to music you can also use it as a note taker or listen to newspapers by podcast? I surely did not. Going through grade school I always thought that you either had to google it or buy it. There were plenty of times I have bought sparks notes or spent all day looking at sparks note when I could have just downloaded them to my iPod. I also thought about investing in getting a Kindle instead of continuing buying books. Why do that when I can download it onto my iPod. I would have never known that my iPod could have been used for so many different reasons. The learning tool on how to do a podcast will help me and my group when we do our podcast.

students podcasting

2 comments:

  1. Hi Raven! I really enjoyed reading your post regarding the iPod podcasts information. I learned a lot that I did not already know about an iPod. For example, how much study material is available for downloading. Also, like you, I enjoyed the Benefits of Podcasting in the Classroom just as much. It was very informative. I had never thought that you could use technology in a way to keep parents informed of the activities and academics that are going on in their child's classroom. The one thing that impressed me the most was the incorporation of the lesson to a child who was absent. Now, the student will not be behind and the teacher does not have to reteach the lesson. Genius I say!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad to hear that these assignments helped in your preparation for your podcast.

    ReplyDelete