Sunday, September 4, 2011

Blog Post #2

kids learning by technology


Did You Know? 3.0
Let's just start off by saying "wow." Does technology really move that fast? I would have never thought that what I have learned and what I am still learning will not be important in the next three years. Although I can see how that is possible because I-Pods, laptops, and definitely desktops have changed in just one year. The thing that caught my attention the most was that China will soon become the number one English speaking country in the world. To me it's hilarious because what about us as Americans?
If I don't learn anything while in Dr. Strange's EDM 310 about being technologically literate, then according to this video I should. According to this video in a couple of years computers will be able to function on a higher level of a human's brain. This video shows the progression of technology and how the world is honestly changing according to technology.
Mr. Winkle Wakes
This video shows how technology is all around us besides in the classrooms. I honestly don't think this video is accurate because technology is in the classrooms but it might not be as fast as it is evolving everywhere else. Teachers might not use the technology but it's there. Like Mr. Winkle saw that there was a computer but it was just dusty and not being used.
We are learning that all teachers should be technology literate. I think this is what Mr. Winkle is trying to show us. Although he wasn't use to technology but the video shows that technology should be use in classroom so that it won't look foreign when you go out into the world.
Sir Ken Robinson
I strongly agree with this video schools don't support creativity. By living here in Mobile, Al schools really do take away the creativity for the simple reason we have to wear uniforms.By wearing uniforms no child is allowed to be themselves. I feel that children in artistic classes should have regular classes just as math, science, english, and history all are.
All students are not the same.Speaking from experience when I get bored I loose my attention. All students have different learning types; some can learn by listening while others learn by watching.
Ken said a quote that stuck with me "If you're not prepared to be wrong, you will never be original." This is true because as we grow we all make mistakes and without mistakes you can never say you learned a lesson. Kids get scared of having the wrong answer so they never ask questions because of fear of being wrong. We have all heard the saying "There's no such thing as a dumb answer." If we show kids that it is normal to be original then kids would be know that it is okay to show their creative side.
Cecilia Gault
I think Cecilia has a bright future of becoming a reporter one day! She did very well in asking questions that would get the viewer more interested in the topic that is being discussed. Although you could tell that she was nervous she stayed very calm and pronounced everything with confidence. She is an intelligent young lady in order to understand and communicate back and forth with Ken Robinson. We as teachers can help children be more like Cecilia by keeping them engaged in the class room, and have every class like a public speaking class.
Vicki Davis
After watching Vicki Davis I strongly agree with her. She is the kind of teacher I envy. She is a very inspiring teacher and those students are lucky to have her. I think it is such a great idea how she lets the students teach some of the lessons. By the students teaching the lessons, it is forcing them to learn the required materials, and not as Dr. Strange calls it "burp- back" material.
I think it is also neat that she lets the students explore into the basic lessons she gives them, and the students are actually able to teach her about the projects she has assigned to them. The style of teaching that Vicki does is rare but it's the way we all should be teaching.

1 comment:

  1. "The thing that caught my attention the most was that China will soon become the number one English speaking country in the world. To me it's hilarious because what about us as Americans?" Not hilarious at all. It is a matter of size. China has a population over 5 times that of the United States. If only 20% of Chinese spoke English they would outnumber the TOTAL population of the United States. It's a matter of size!

    " Teachers might not use the technology but it's there." That was his point with the metaphor of the dust on the computer in the back of the room!

    "...schools really do take away the creativity for the simple reason we have to wear uniforms.By wearing uniforms no child is allowed to be themselves." So that's the explanation! Maybe some students could maximize their creativity by wearing nothing!

    Well, we all make mistakes. But we also must try and get better!

    "She is the kind of teacher I envy." We want you to a be a Vicki Davis kind of teacher!

    ReplyDelete